President Trump prepares to go away a observe at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Might 22, 2017. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
Left-wing smears overlook his numerous pro-Israel, pro-Jewish words and actions.
Psychological projection has turn into a key characteristic of the Left. If Democrats and their serfs in the liberal media complain about one thing, they more than likely do it themselves, however pin it on an typically blameless GOP. Think about their rationalization of Hillary Clinton’s approval of the deal that handed the Kremlin 20 % of America’s uranium supply, whereas buyers in Uranium One Inc. donated $145 million to the Clinton Foundation. Yet the Left has screamed, “Russian collusion!” at Donald Trump for almost three years.
Likewise, Democrats and the Left whitewash the anti-Semites in their midst and, as an alternative, blame Trump — a decidedly pro-Jewish, pro-Israel president — every time Jews are attacked or killed, as atrociously transpired on April 27, when a 19-year-old gunman opened hearth on the Chabad of Poway Synagogue near San Diego. He killed Lori Gilbert Kaye, 60, and injured three others.
Predictably, the Left engaged their only gear and trampled Trump.
- “Why do these people feel they have license now to attack synagogues?” Senator Dick Durbin (D., Ailing.) questioned on CNN. “This has really been fomented because of the rhetoric we’re hearing from the White House.”
- In accordance with Senator Kamala Harris (D., Calif.), Poway and comparable onslaughts “are borne out of hate — hate which has received new fuel in these last two years.”
- “He’s provocative. He gives dog whistles constantly to these people,” stated Joy Behar, co-host of ABC’s The View. “Take responsibility for your actions, Mr. President. You are the culprit!”
- “We have a president who not only will not acknowledge that we have an epidemic of white-nationalist terror,” Mehdi Hasan stated on MSNBC’s The Intercept, “he’s providing the mood music for it.”
- “This president has emboldened neo-Nazis and white nationalists in this country,” stated Waleed Shahid, communications director of Justice Democrats.
- MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough remarked, “White nationalists say he [Trump] has inspired them to take a far more public and aggressive stance in Trump’s America.”
- “I think the president needs to look in the mirror and understand that the rhetoric, the words he uses in all of this inflame a big part of what’s going on in America, give permission to the most craziest people in America,” stated Matthew Dowd on ABC’s This Week.
These Trump haters may be plausible if the killer had yelled “Make America Great Again!” as he fired into the synagogue. Yet in his rambling, profane open letter, he made clear his intense disdain for Trump and conservatism. Among other issues, he referred to as the president “Jew-loving” and “traitorous,” declaring further: “I am not a conservative.” The villain who murdered eleven and wounded seven in October at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue made clear his hatred for Trump, too.
The Left’s anti-Trump attacks happen despite his pro-Jewish and pro-Israeli statements and actions. These go at the very least as far back as 2004, when Trump was the grand marshal of New York’s Salute to Israel Parade. Most just lately, on Thursday, the president hosted a Nationwide Day of Prayer ceremony in the White House Rose Backyard. He stated: “We will fight with all of our strength and everything that we have in our bodies to defeat anti-Semitism, to end the attacks on the Jewish people, and to conquer all forms of persecution, intolerance, and hate.”
Trump welcomed Poway’s rabbi, Yisroel Goldstein. He stated, “I’d like to thank our dear, honorable Mr. President for being, as they say in Yiddish, a ‘mensch par excellence.’ Mr. President, when you called me, I was at home weeping. You were the first person who began my healing. You heal people in their worst of times, and I’m so grateful for that.” The president additionally shared the podium with Military veteran Oscar Stewart and Border Patrol agent Jonathan Morales. Trump referred to as them “heroes who raced after the murderer and helped disrupt the attack at the Poway Synagogue.”
This dramatic improvement certainly dominated the major networks’ evening-news broadcasts. No such luck. As the Media Research Middle discovered, this shifting story of a rabbi — with fingers freshly shot off by a lethal killer — being honored at the White House by a supposedly Jew-hating president generated exactly zero minutes and 0 seconds of protection on these flagship newscasts.
None of the three massive networks spared a second to report on the president rallying the republic towards anti-Semitism. Nevertheless, the CBS Evening Information devoted 22 seconds to new Scrabble words. NBC Nightly News devoted 30 seconds to Scientology. And ABC’s World Information Tonight invested a full two minutes in a married couple who’re scaling, primarily, his and hers mountains on opposite sides of Earth.
As MRC vice chairman Brent H. Baker informed me, “It’s almost as if the press corps were trying to suppress anyone learning about anything that contradicts their view of Trump as a racist promoter of white nationalism and anti-Semitism — which would, of course, confirm Trump’s disdain for the media.”
Final Saturday at eight:25 p.m., six hours after bullets flew at Poway, President Trump advised supporters in Inexperienced Bay, Wis.: “Our entire nation mourns the loss of life, prays for the wounded, and stands in solidarity with the Jewish community. We forcefully condemn the evil of anti-Semitism and hate, which must be defeated.”
CNN’s Don Lemon, naturally, questioned Trump’s sincerity. “One has to wonder as a thinking, rational person, if he means those words and if they ring hollow to Americans who have been looking for him to say those things,” Lemon stated Saturday. At 8:32 p.m,. simply seven minutes after Trump referred to as to vanquish anti-Semitism, Lemon squeezed Trump for “trafficking in bigotry, in racism, in anti-Semitism, in hate, and making excuses for us.”
If Trump’s words have been insincere, then he’s among the best actors of his era. Maybe he fooled even Poway’s religious leader.
“I received a personal phone call from our president, Donald Trump,” stated Rabbi Goldstein. “It’s the first time I’ve ever spoken to a president of the United States of America. He shared with me condolences on behalf of the United States of America. . . . And he spoke about his love of peace and Judaism and Israel. And he was just so comforting that I’m really grateful to our president for taking the time and making that effort to share with us his consolation and comfort.
“He was so gracious and generous with his words. Exceedingly comforting to me, my community. He spoke to me like a friend, like a buddy.”
President Trump expressed himself equally before Poway.
“We must never ignore the vile poison of anti-Semitism, or those who spread its venomous creed,” he declared in his State of the Union handle on February 5. “With one voice, we must confront this hatred anywhere and everywhere it occurs.” Trump additionally introduced his visitors in the House gallery: Dachau survivor Joshua Kaufman and Herman Zeitchik, a World Conflict II veteran who liberated that Nazi concentration camp.
For Trump, that is personal.
When his daughter Ivanka transformed to Orthodox Judaism in 2009 to organize for her marriage to Jared Kushner, Trump did not erase her from his will or banish her from Trump Tower. As an alternative, his daughter and son-in-law are amongst his closest advisers; he by no means leaves house without them. The president, Ivanka, Jared, and the first grandchildren have celebrated Hanukkah together in the White Home.
Trump is the first sitting president to visit the Western Wall, Judaism’s most hallowed website, in Jerusalem — Israel’s capital, to which he relocated America’s embassy from Tel Aviv. Trump signed the Taylor Drive Act to defund Palestinian terrorists. In March, he acknowledged the beforehand Syrian Golan Heights as Israeli. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated in the Oval Office on March 25, “We have never had a greater friend than President Trump.”
If evidence of Trump’s anti-Semitism exists, his enemies ought to current it now or ceaselessly hold their peace.
The Left’s claims of Trump’s anti-Jewish animus mask the increasingly rampant anti-Semitism on their aspect of the aisle.
- House Democrats’ lack of ability to condemn the anti-Semitic feedback of Representative Ilhan Omar (D., Minn.). As an alternative, their anodyne measure denounced anti-Semitism and “all forms of hatred” with out censuring Omar by identify. Conversely, when Consultant Steve King (R., Iowa) soft-pedaled white nationalism, Republicans stepped up, censured him personally, and booted him from his committees.
- In the meantime, the New York Occasions revealed not one, but two, clearly anti-Semitic, Goebbels-like cartoons on April 25 and 29. The first depicted a blind, yarmulke-clad Trump being guided by Netanyahu as a canine, with a Star of David round his neck. In response, Harvard emeritus regulation professor Alan Dershowitz wrote April 28 in The Hill: “One of the weapons of hate against Jews deployed by Nazi Germany were cartoons and caricatures that depicted Jews as subhuman animals, often as dogs or spiders.” The second caricature featured a seemingly blind Netanyahu posing for a selfie with a stone tablet emblazoned with a Star of David.
- Nation of Islam chief Louis Farrakhan final Might delivered a sermon titled “Thoroughly and completely unmasking the Satanic Jew and the Synagogue of Satan.” Arguably America’s most flagrant anti-Semite, he as soon as stated: “The Jews don’t like Farrakhan, so they call me Hitler. Well, that’s a good name. Hitler was a very great man.” Nonetheless, the Congressional Black Caucus repeatedly has feted this Jew hater; Obama smiled beside him in a photograph that stayed hidden all through his presidency; and last August, Farrakhan sat on stage, three seats from President Invoice Clinton, at soul legend Aretha Franklin’s Detroit funeral. The Reverends Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson sat between them.
- When the left-wing MoveOn.org referred to as on Democratic presidential hopefuls to boycott the American Israel Public Affairs Committee’s March policy conference, Senators Kamala Harris of California, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and former Texas congressman Robert Francis O’Rourke have been among those that dutifully stayed away.
- Leftists slam the Jewish state relentlessly — from Williams School’s April 23 refusal to authorize the Williams Initiative for Israel as a scholar group to the on-campus Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions motion to the United Nations’s virtually every day anti-Israel resolutions. The Left and Democrats have develop into the keepers of anti-Semitism’s flame, and yet they shout “anti-Semite!” at Trump.
The Left’s attacks on the president venture their anti-Semitism onto Trump in hopes of crushing him in 2020. That is as ugly as politics will get.
Michael Malarkey contributed analysis for this opinion piece.